Monday, December 16, 2013

Book Review of In Between

     This past week I read an amazing book by Jenny B. Jones entitled In Between.


     Synopsis
     Katie Parker knows life isn't fair.  After all, when your mom's in jail and your dad's a no-show, you figure things just aren't going your way.  But hey, she can deal.  Then she finds out she's being sent to live with a foster family--in In Between, Texas.
     What kind of town has a name like In Between?  And what kind of family wants a kid like her?  One thing's for certain: None of this will be good.  Sure enough--thanks to some new "friends" and her nonMom's crazed mother, Mad Maxine--life sails right past bad to stinking.
    Then again, she's just a temporary kid, they're just temporary parents, and she definitely doesn't have any ideas about making any of this permanent.  God, on the other hand, may have other plans altogether.

     My Favorite Quote
     "Lord, if you are real . . . or if you even answer prayer from a girl dumb enough to get on a bicycle built for two with a deranged senior citizen bent on stalking her geriatric, cheating nonbyfriend, I just want to say I can't really afford to get in any more trouble right now.  So just remember this was not my idea.  I can't say no to Maxine.  I'm sure you know what I mean."  (page 285)

     My Review
     I love the sarcasm that peppers Katie's thoughts and conversations.  Reading the first few chapters, it's impossible not to laugh continuously.  It's just that hilarious.  I like all of the details used to describe the people and places that the reader encounters in the story.  It really makes you feel like you're there.
     My favorite character is definitely Mad Maxine.  She's not your typical foster granny.  She rarely (if ever) acts her age.  At one point, her neighbors started a campaign to get her car taken away!  She may seem tough (and crazy) on the outside, but she has a heart the size of Texas.
     Overall, this was a great read.  Even though it's geared towards young adults, I think this book could be enjoyed by readers of all ages.  Jenny B. Jones accurately captures small town life and how crazy life can be for a teenage girl.  This book was very engaging, and I highly recommend it.

     Links to Purchase
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.barnesandnoble.com
http://www.jennybjones.com/books/
http://www.navpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment