Saturday, June 18, 2016

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

   My discovery of this book was slightly unusual. As I've mentioned before, I clean at a local school. Part of my job is to clean a few of the classrooms. I found this book abandoned on one of the desks. I read the back of it, then read the first 20 some odd pages, the first half of which are just short messages back and forth between Graham and Ellie the two main characters. I went home and was on the verge of ordering it from my favorite bookstore, when I found that it was available at one of the libraries I frequent. I got it the next day, then read it within the next three days. Unfortunately, this book hasn't moved in the two weeks since I first picked it up.
   {I may or may not have written a note and left it in the book, because I saw it as a bucket list item on Pinterest.}
   The beginning of this book was a bit different than other books I've read. It started off as a set of emails between Graham and Ellie, and they were completely adorable! I loved how the emails sounded like an actual conversation between two teenagers (I've read some books where this was not the case, and I found it to be extremely annoying). 
   The writing was fantastic. The story was set in a small, seaside Maine town with quaint shops and dynamic characters. I could very easily "see" it all, and it was gorgeous. 
   The "break-up" in this was also very realistic. The girl had an issue with the guys life, and it was a mutual decision, which seemed very grown-up for characters this young. Luckily, the issue was resolved in the end. Ellie's secret also didn't scare Graham away, I am happy to say.
   There were only a few minor things that were "wrong" with this story. I didn't really like Ellie's best friend Quinn. She wasn't very supportive of Ellie, and I didn't really like her character overall. There were also a few grammatical errors, but they weren't big enough to distract from the story. Other than those two things, this story was very good.
   I can't wait to read this story again next year when it will count towards my Goodreads read count. I would highly recommend to anyone who like cute YA stories.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Alyssa. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also glad to know your interest in reading the books which altimately leades you to be a writer. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to heave you come to Mumbai with your friends to work witih us during your vacatiuon time. I am usre you will have a life changing experience. Looking forwrd to hear from you very soon. god's richest blessings on you, your famiy and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2016.My email idis: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Diwakar,
    Thank-you for the lovely comment! It's nice hearing from someone so far away. I hope your ministry is going well. Thanks for taking the time to write.
    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete