Saturday, July 16, 2016

Nerd Alert: the Library

   Depending on which social media sites you follow me on, you may or may not know that I love going to the library. It's actually where I write a lot of these posts. Unfortunately, I don't seem to know many people who enjoy the library as much as I do. Some say libraries have become obsolete with the digital age. I beg to differ, and here's why.
     1. Free Stuff
   Now, this might be obvious, but some people seem to forget; you can rent stuff from libraries FOR FREE. I'm talking unlimited access to works of fiction, comic books, travel guides, audio books, CDs, self-help books, books that will help you learn a different language, and even free ebooks! One of the libraries I frequent has free movie rentals for one week, while another charges $1 for two weeks. Lately, one of my favorite things to rent is audio books. In a typical day, I commute between jobs for approximately an hour and forty minutes. This means I can typically finish an eight hour audio book in a week, which is nice because I don't have a lot of time to read much nowadays. Libraries also offer free (limited) access to the internet. Some even let you rent a Kindle for a few weeks!There are many great materials that are free at your local library.
     2. Quiet Atmosphere
   I love that libraries tend to be quiet, but not too quiet. It's the perfect place to write, because I feel like I'm not excluding myself from the world as much. Plus, overhearing conversations between the librarians or other patrons is entertaining.
     3. Discounted books
   Two of the libraries I visit have a room set aside where you can purchase used books, CDs, and movies. Libraries also periodically host book sales as well. I love browsing these sales, because I almost always find some treasure or another.
     4. Events
   Right now, most libraries are in the midst of summer reading programs. I love participating in these, since most enter you into a contest to win gift cards. Libraries also host book clubs, outings, writers groups, and movie nights. There are programs for children, teens, and adults. It's a great place to meet people who love books just as much as you do!


   Those are some of the reasons that I love going to the library. In fact, some weeks (or even days) I patronize more than one. I have found all sorts of interesting materials on a wide variety of subjects. I hope to see more people supporting their local library in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment