Saturday, October 3, 2015

My Opinion of Georgiana Darcy’s Diary

     There are a lot of spin offs, fanfictions, and rewrites of Jane Austen's works.  Some of them are terrible, others are alright, but, every once in awhile, you may find some that are magnificent.  Georgiana Darcy’s Diary by Anna Elliott is one of the magnificent ones.

Synopsis
   Mr. Darcy's younger sister searches for her own happily-ever-after.
   The year is 1814, and it's springtime at Pemberley. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy have married. But now a new romance is in the air, along with high fashion, elegant manners, scandal, deception, and the wonderful hope of a true and lasting love.
   Shy Georgiana Darcy has been content to remain unmarried, living with her brother and his new bride. But Elizabeth and Darcy's fairy-tale love reminds Georgiana daily that she has found no true love of her own. And perhaps never will, for she is convinced the one man she secretly cares for will never love her in return. Georgiana's domineering aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, has determined that Georgiana shall marry, and has a list of eligible bachelors in mind. But which of the suitors are sincere, and which are merely interested in Georgiana's fortune? Georgiana must learn to trust her heart and rely on her courage, for she also faces the return of the man who could ruin her reputation and spoil a happy ending, just when it finally lies within her grasp.

My Favorite Quote
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a young lady of rank and property will have packs of money- or land-hungry suitors yapping around her heels like hounds after a fox."  ~Georgiana Darcy's Diary page 34 (in the Nook version)  I love this quote because it is reminiscent of the opening line of Pride and Prejudice.  I also like the fact that this quote shows a more sarcastic side of Georgiana.  Plus, the imagery is quite hilarious!
"It's just that it seems to me that what is a terrible hardship to one person may seem trivially small to another, but that does not necessarily make the hardship any the less hard to bear for the one who suffers it."  ~Georgiana Darcy's Diary page 287 (in the Nook version)  I think that this is so true and profound.  I have seen situations where someone is completely devastated by something that I wouldn't bat an eye at.  I guess it just comes down to what each person values in their life.

My Review
   This was the second book that I read that was written in diary form, and I believe that it is really well done!  [Although, I find my own diary very dull next to this piece of art.]  There are vibrant descriptions of various characters and of the area around Pemberley.  I found it very easy to imagine the various gowns that were described throughout the book.  The author does an amazing job of sticking to how Austen originally portrayed her characters.  I think she got Aunt de Bourgh spot on!  I also liked that she made Caroline Bingley more relatable, and we got to Anne better too!  Sketches are also occasionally included in this book.  Besides a few grammar mistakes, this is an amazing read!  [Note: the mistakes I'm talking about could just be from the fact that the version I have is an e-book.]  I thought I could guess a few of the twists in the book, but it turned out that I was only partially right.  This book was peppered with the right amounts of drama, surprises, and romance.  The one thing that made me love this book is the fact that it was from Georgiana's point of view.  I loved getting to know her better, and I hope you give her a chance as well!

Note: The last time I checked, this book was free for Nook.  Here's the link:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/georgiana-darcys-diary-anna-elliott/1111619145?ean=2940044982086

No comments:

Post a Comment